“The apartment [known as House Jaco] is on Bolshaya Morskaya located in the very centre of central Saint Petersburg. It is the best location within the Golden Triangle, that is the area bounded by the Neva River & the Fontanka Canal. It is the heart of the old city and contains most of the museums. The apartment is available for short term or long term rentals. It was completely renovated in 2008, new floors, new ceilings, walls re-plasterd, new room layout. There are two bathrooms, one is ensuite. Every room has air conditioning. The apartment is on the second floor (immediately above the ground floor), it is 50 metres from Nevsky Prospekt, 150 metres from Palace Square & the Hermitage. It is very central!
History of the House Jaco
In the middle of the 18th century the land on the which the house was built was occupied by a temporary palace [for] Empress Elizabeth. After [the] dismantling of the palace the royal kitchens remained there, as did the Throne Hall. The Throne Hall was then given to sculptor E. Falcone for work on the iconic monument to Peter the Great also known as the ‘Bronze Horseman‘. Falcone moved here [to St. Petersburg] in 1766, [and] he rebuilt the building which housed the former palace kitchen. The monument was constructed in the courtyard. In 1773, Falcone was visited by his friend the French philosopher Diderot, he stayed in the house until 1778, when he returned to France.
After the departure of the French, the site housed a warehouse of marble for the construction of a number of buildings which gave rise to the naming of the laneway at the side of the building: Kirpichny (brick) Lane. A residential two-storey house was built in 1801 when the site was owned by a Prussian merchant (also the consul). In 1822 his heirs divied the land in two. Then in 1836 the side adjacent to Bolshaya Morskaya Street was sold to architect Paul Jaco who designed many historical buildings in St. Petesburg.
In the years 1837-1838 Jaco built the current four-story building. Iron girders were used in the construction of first floor windows – an innovation for the local civil engineering community. In 1842 Faberge started his business with the opening of a workshop in the basement. During the 1860s Chief Marshal Count Ivan M. Tolstoy lived in the house, he had formerly been a Senator and Minister of Posts and Telegraphs and a member of the State Council. The house remained in the his family until 1917. In the 1930s, the Kirpichny Lane end of the house become the ‘House of Artists’, or an artists commune.” [Saint Petersburg Vacation Rental.]
- St Petersburg: The Gateway To Russia (ukcredit.com)